Liberry Air

Friday, March 02, 2007

Bus duty blues

Last week was Electrical Appliance Failure Week: first the fridge (still no sign of the plumber coming to hook up the new aquatic toys), then the mouse on my year old computer. The replacements are very nice and the credit card bill hasn't come yet, so things seem fine.

This week's Disaster Theme has been the weather. Is this random nastiness? Stochastic weather process? Global warming? Nah. It happens every time my team has bus duty. It has reached the point where some parents groan when they see us on duty. One has asked us to consider taking days off so the weather will improve and she can run errands in relative peace.

So what will next week bring? Blue skies? Happiness? Depends on how you feel about standardized tests. The tests in our state happen to be well-designed and give us good information. However, administering them is a difficult process at best: lots of security measures; a great deal riding on the outcomes. I always have groups of students who have learning difficulties and get more time to complete the tests. The word is out that my room is a nice place to test - partly due, no doubt, to the fact that I provide snacks and a quiet, nonjudgemental atmosphere. I really like the kids who come to me; I'm glad they feel comfortable in my room.

Between the actual testing dates (2 full weeks) and the make-up days, life as we know it will return right in time for April showers - such a heartwarmingly symmetric cycle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home