Liberry Air

Sunday, September 30, 2007

aging

During last annual with one of my doctors, he noted I hadn't had a bone density done in some time - and had never had the full scan. So I had the scan. Then I had a phone call asking me to schedule a follow-up with him "No emergency; he just likes to go over the results personally with patients." Ahem. Even I am not that gullible, so I started getting religion (taking a couple of calcium supplements a day, eating more yogurt) and waited the month for the appointment (no rush to schedule a non-emergency visit - stealthily comforting).

We sat and chatted for a moment - after all, we've been seeing each other for thirty years. He delivered my daughter. I said, "So...? I'm guessing if all were well, we would not be having this little tete-a-tete." He grinned/grimaced and announced I have osteoporosis of the spine and osteopenia in my hips. So glad I had HRT and was not careful about calcium long ago. How smart to have somehow fallen off the walking bandwagon for quite a while. Well done.

So now my sudden burst of a couple of calcium supplements a day has morphed into Fosamax, three supplements a day, a search for a decent multivitamin to take every day, hard-wiring the yogurt-eating into my diet, and a long time to wait til the next bone scan to see if the loss can be stopped.

The good part is having discovered Adoras calcium supplements. They add 30 kcal each, so I had been leery about them. Wrong. They are disks of chocolate (dark or milk available) that really taste like...chocolate! I look forward to each supplement. They're less calories than an average candy. I haven't had any other chocolate in over 4 weeks now - I'm getting a guilt-free fix three times a day! Silver lining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home